Dedicated hosting – as the name suggests, allocates a complete set of infrastructure for your purpose and you get the best of the services and speeds for your website. The only limitation is the cost involved. It is the most expensive form of web hosting to opt for. Now comes, the third, the newest and the most popular of all, VPS hosting. The VPS encompasses the best of the two worlds and you can get full functionality and flexibility of a Dedicated Server, but the cost involved is only a fraction of it.
In VPS a common server is segregated with the help of software to form a number of full functional units. Each unit capable of providing a complete working environment of dedicated servers to the users. With VPS hosting you can get distinguished features like customized firewalls, dedicated IP addresses and SSH access – all of which are common characteristics of its dedicated opponent. Getting a VPS for your website is quite simple and you can have one for your website from your home/office computer.
1. Select a URL for your website, you can use the free services offered by various web hosting sites to check the availability of your domain name.
2. Post a search engine query with the keywords “VPS hosting plans”. Scroll through a number of VPS providers. Compare them with respect to the services and the cost for each plan. Also take into consideration, how many GB of disk space you require and the bandwidth you need. Choose the best VPS plan as per your requirement, sign up for it and make requisite payments.
3. After making the payment, check your email (that you specified while signing up for the VPS hosting) for the login details.
4. Go to the website of your VPS provider and login with your user-id and password. If logging in for the first time, you will be prompted to set some of the basic configurations for your VPS and website.
5. Choose your kernel. Most providers usually offer to install a range of Linux kernels on your VPS server. If you have a profound knowledge about the type of kernel you want for your server, choose it. Otherwise it is quite safe to choose the Ubuntu Kernel.
6. You can host one or more websites on your VPS. While signing up the VPS service you opted to go with a plan with a definite amount of disk space. You can use the entire disk space for a particular website or you can part it into smaller units for hosting different websites.
7. Note the IP addresses with respect to each of the partitions of your VPS. These IP addresses are displayed on the dashboard or under “my accounts” tab. If you are using only one partition, i.e. if you use your entire VPS for hosting only one website then you will get only one IP address.